Lines South

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Lines South
From: okt@j...
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:12:43 -0600
Marshall,
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty familiar with the corporate
relationships, what I was asking was how the list mebers felt in their
hearts and heads. Do the list memebers consider them "separate but equall
family members "or completely different or something inbetween?

Terry -

The C&S and FW&D were interlocked to the Q by boards of directors, and
were
regarded as part of the "Burlington Route" (and thus of the Hill Lines),
but
for legal reasons, they were separate corporate entities. In steam days,
they had distinct locomotive classes, although some were patterned from Q
types, and toward the end of steam, C&S bought some Q steamers outright.
Diesels on the C&S and FW&D had different number series (for instance,
C&S F
units were 700s rather than 100s; passenger diesels were in the 9950s on
the
C&S and in the 9980s for the FW&D). Freight and passenger cars were also
in
different classes and number series . . . for instance, as Accurail
accurately depicts, the CB&Q never had any USRA 55 ton hoppers, building
their own to an in-house design . . . but the C&S did. There were also
variations in way car design, etc.

They were definitely part of the Burlington Route, but with a whole
different flavor . . .

Marshall

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.