Re: [BRHSlist] Pullman condrs/Q employees

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Pullman condrs/Q employees
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:51:32 -0600
At 10:14 PM 3/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
>John, I'm too "young" to have first hand experience on how Pullman and RR
>employees interacted. Since I never heard any of my old brothers complain I
>guess they each did their job. Remember the Pullman condr was boss over the
>Pullmans and the RR Condr supervised the balance of train and had overall
>responsibility for on time performance,safety,etc.
>For a handy reference on Pullman operation I suggest Night Trains. This book
>provides a listing by RR of where all Pullman service was on each carrier at
>approx. midnight on a typical night along with other interesting data.
>There is at least one BRHS member who could provide us first hand knowledge
>about your question,RR Repetto.
>Leo
Leo and fellow Q fans,

There was a wonderful series of six long articles in Trains Magazine in the
early 1970's by Pullman conductor (and railfan) William Moedinger. He
began his service in WWII, but left the company for another career well
before the collapse. His stories are great, and he paints a detailed and
interesting picture of the duties of the Pullman conductor. I'm heading
out of town, so don't have time to look up the issue dates, but they are in
the annual indexes, and now probably on the Trains web site index, too.

Dennis
Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail: dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978