Re: [BRHSlist] High Speed Coal Trains/was Sunday Only CD - Questions

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] High Speed Coal Trains/was Sunday Only CD - Questions
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:51:28 -0700
Hi Bob:

Down there where the Santa Fe runs, I'm not surprised, up here on the ragged
end of the Burlington, they're cheaper with the power :>) Other places,
I've seen Frisco guys braggin' up how fast coal trains go with 5 or 6 MACs
on 'em. They ought to, if we get that many, two or three (or four) are BO
or dead :>) I have had 18,400 horses on a 2500 ton aluminum mty off the UP
at Bridgeport though. It'd go 55 uphill with no problem (except for little
Robbie's fuel economy police), but we are usually happy if we can get 2 per
ton on what passes for hotshots. That's what I had home yesterday on an "H"
train, 33 mph up Moorcroft, but only 45 downhill, account three company cars
w/restrictions :>( You don't have to worry though, South Dakota an' Wyoming
don't got no Amtrak :>)

Steam whistle related, I was ready to do any kind of deal I had to with the
crew caller or crew mismanager or whoever (I'd have even been nice to
officials for a year--well, maybe that's stretchin' it), to get on the
Employee Special when the Frisco engine would have been through here, but
they blew her up before they got out of MO, so when I met it at Rozet, there
was nothin' but punkin's on it. Bah Humbug.

Later

Mike Decker