Re: SD38-2s

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: SD38-2s
From: okt@j...
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:59:05 -0000
The Frisco bought four of those in the mid 70s. Two for Tennessee
Yard in Memphis (TY) an two for Cherokee Yard in Tulsa.
The ones in TY were not equipped with dyanmic brakes since they were
being used in hump service. However, the the hump at CY is down hill
or a " hold back " hump, so those units were equipped with DB.
Each one was coupled to a GP38-2.
The TY units are an easier bash since you don't have to recreat the
DB.
The best way to make one is to start with the Athearn SD40-2. Using
cannon parts you need to change the inertial air filter intakes, add
a paper air filter box, remove the radiator fans and grills and
replace them with the GP38-2 grills and fans.
If you want one of the CY units, you need to take two GP38-2 DBs,
join them at the fans (more or less) and put them on backwards.
This is all over simplified but that's the basics.
Terry