Re: [BRHSlist] truing steam engine tires

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] truing steam engine tires
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:19:39 -0600
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 12:18 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] truing steam engine tires

> The other day I saw a picture of a Santa Fe steam engine having its tires
"trued" near Fort Madison, Iowa in 1950. This was not being done in a shop
but was accomplished "in situ" -- the locomotive being under full steam in
the yard. The ground was littered with metal shavings from the work being
done. Apparently, the operation required the assistance of a Ledgerwood. I
had never seen this procedure before and I was wondering if someone on the
list could supply some more information about it. Was it common? I always
associated Ledgerwoods with logging operations. What else were they used
for?

This was a totally different "Lidgerwood" - a sort of bracket and
lathe-style cutting tool. The springs were blocked and the frame jacked up
sufficiently to allow the drivers to spin free to act as a lathe. I recall
reading a while back that 4449 had such a treatment at least once . . .

Marshall