Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Budd Car Consists

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Budd Car Consists
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:53:39 -0600
Roger-
Both the Con-Cor and Kato cars ran on the Q until the end of passenger
service and many went into Amtrak service.
Con-Cor chose the California Zephyr cars....with modifications such as a
full length smooth letterboard instead of corrugated with name panels and
cutouts in the trucks above the trucks to clear swing on curves.
Also, the dome-observation repeats an error made on the first set of brass
CZ cars in that the observation end roof is the same height as the front end
of the car instead of being higher like the CZ prototype.
The genealogy of the cars Kato modeled are explained on our website. They
were generally pool service cars (except for the Twin Cities Zephyr dome car
and the DZ / NCL pool Slumbercoaches which had more or less fixed
assignments). They
didn't show up on the WP as the CZ was a dedicated trainset. The 10-6
Pullman is the exception...it is from the second order of cars for the CZ
and in fact one of our cars carries the CZ name on the letterboard. The
dome could pass as a CZ car if you want the Kato model for your train.
The two brands of cars look okay together and you can mix and match them.
Charlie
BRHS Member and
Kato USA R&D