Switch heaters

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Switch heaters
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:54:42 EST
Just came in from walking the dog. So far today we're up to eight inches or
so. Drifts are a foot and half in places and growing rapidly as the wind is
blowing 15-20 mph. Brought back memories of nights digging out switches for
every move. There was a night much like this one and each train operating on
the C&I had a section man on the head end to handle the bulk of the switch
shoveling (this was the one and only time I ever recall that extra help).That
night headed east we stopped at Mored to head in the siding for a meet. After
considerable effort the section man and my partner got the switch lined by
hand. Then after the rear end was in the siding the Con. and I spent almost
as much time digging it out so we could line it back for the main. Then after
the westbounder cleared the DS asked us to hang on until he made sure he had
the West switch by remote. No such luck. We took a bunch of fusees with us
along with the snow brooms. Finally after what seemed an eternity in that sub
zero cold and many fussees the DS was able to get the switch by power. While
we were struggling on the West switch the head end cleaned the East switch
and we headed out the East end. Thankfully the East switch lined and locked
itself via power!
Now you ask where were the switch heaters? There were there but the wind and
snow were blowing so hard that the pots or propane burners (depending on
location) were all blown out and couldn't be kept burning.
Leo