Re: [BRHSlist] Overspeed

To: <brhslist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Overspeed
From: "D. Gabe Gabriel" <signaling@r...>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:45:51 -0500
I'm not sure I understood your comment, but, if I understood it correctly, I
don't understand... All mechanical speed measuring devices require regular
calibration - I am working on what certainly can be termed the most
state-of-the-art new system getting installed in North America right now, a
CBTC system, and its mechanical axle reader (for speed) requires calibration
at transponders on a regular basis,
a number of times on a single run.
So, I don't understand the parallel analogy, as this is the way these
systems must work, by design. (of course, I am a signal guy, and am saying
that as a generalization in their application to signal systems and train
control - but, I am confident that is relevant for less than vital systems
as well, if accuracy is cared about at all)

Gabe