Re: Forwarded Posts re:PsgrTrain Operations

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: Forwarded Posts re:PsgrTrain Operations
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:31:01 -0600
What a great line of discussion. Fascinating! Wonderfully informative!

I have a question about the reference to ACL car #666. Its routing was listed
as ACL, LN, CEI, from Savannah, Georgia to Chicago. The mention of these three
railroads leads me to believe the routing was that of the old Dixieland, and
Dixie Flyer between Atlanta and Chicago. If so, the portion of that route
between Nashville and Atlanta was operated at one time by the NC&StL. Was the
NC&StL a fallen flag by the time the ACL #666 traversed this route? If not,
should that road have been included in the routing, or did the car traverse the
L&N to the C&EI at Evansville by another route?

I prefer to think I am not nitpicking here. You see, every two-three years
during the last 40 I have made the trek to Georgia. With the coming of the
interstates I have always noted that I-24 between Nashville and Atlanta pretty
much parallels the old NC&StL. As a consequence, I have developed an interest
in that line. It is really quite spectacular railroading between Monteagle, TN
and Chattanooga.