Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Q "gray" backs

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Q "gray" backs
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:05:24 -0600
To add another log to one of the oldest fires in the BRHS.....
Back in 1963-64 Joe Legner and I managed to get a dipped sample of the
Aluminum Oxide paint for the F units from the Clyde Diesel House.
This paint sample was very dark gray. When some HO locos were painted with
this "prototype"matched color they were way too dark. The N Scale
Burlington FTs from Hallmark were painted this way....and the paint is so
dark that the contrast between the black edging on the red nose herald and
side striping.
Even though I admit to being nominally red-green color blind I will give my
definitive theory on this paint.......
The original FTs were the first Q units painted with this color. Other
railroads used the same Dupont Aluminum Oxide / Imitation Aluminum
color.....Rock Island, Boston & Maine, Maine Central, Southern and more....
The color "reads"more white, very light gray, than gray. The wet liquid
paint in the drum is very dark gray......darker than Harbor Mist Gray.
Two things happen to the paint as it is applied to the unit....
First, the paint is applied under high pressure. This reportedly oxidizes
the aluminum and turns the paint to a lighter shade.
Second, the paint is being applied to an object the size of a house. This
means that the color receptors (I am not an eye doctor so have the technical
terms incorrect here) or "rods" of the human eye (which are the same number
when viewing large prototypes or small models) are receiving more reflected
light volume from the prototype than the model. Even if you hold a model
painted with the same paint up to the prototype it will appear darker
against the prototype....
Even the Q got screwed up in this mess...... sometime in the F3 production
it looks like EMD or the Q changed paint suppliers or specifications.....and
guess what....the paint got darker! I have seen movie shots of the 637 on a
fan trip at Aurora where there is an F Unit in the background that
apparently had wreck repairs....with two different shades of "gray" applied.
Later in F unit production the color reverted to the original light (almost
white) gray....and maybe even white was substituted.
I remember seeing one of the passenger Fs freshly painted in freight colors
at the West Burlington shops (at the time of the 5632 "Birthday" Fantrip)
and even inside the shop with bad lighting the unit seemed to be as white as
a refrigerator.....
With the dim lighting of most layout rooms I would tend to vote for almost
white paint, maybe with a touch of beige to account for fading and
yellowing, with a hint of blue for the reflected sky.... but most grays are
way too dark to evoke the memories of the units.
By the way, where did the term "graybacks" come from....it is not something
I ever heard until recent years of the society...after 1985 or so. Is this
a widely-used railroad term or a concoction of modelers from the dark gray
camp? <ggggg>
Charlie Vlk

PS- Hol Wagner (I think it was Hol) had a funny story about the color and a
off-line wreck-damaged NE12......maybe he can relate it to the group.