Wheel size on Hoppers

To: BRHS <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Wheel size on Hoppers
From: " JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS" <trains@m...>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:44:02 -0700
BRHS Members,
I have a stupid question that I have been trying to find an answer for.
Did the CB&Q 100 Ton Quad Hoppers, like the ones Walthers made in a single &
6 pack, ride on 36" wheels or 33". I have looked at photos in the Morning
Sun Color Guide to Frt & Pass Equip and can't tell for sure although they
look like 36". I know 36" wheels are the rule for most 100 Ton coal and
grain cars but was that the rule back in the 60's as well? I just want to be
sure. The 'Burlington Bulletin' on Hoppers doesn't say- or I just overlooked
it. Thanks,
John Olson
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.