Re: [BRHSlist] Steward Jct, IL

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Steward Jct, IL
From: hold-on@s...
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:56:10 +0000

Ed DeRouin wrote:

> To the list

Ed is right the Milw crossed US 30 just south of Scarsboro and the last time I
was
by there you could see it north of the road but farmers have plowed out south.
There use to be two wayfreights(I think its petrol on the Milw) one each way
that
would meet somewhere between Rockford and Steward Jct. We tried to meet them at
Davis Jct or in the CTC if possible. Milw also had a Switch eng that worked
around
Rochelle and till the mid 80's the BN kept two working so you had three switch
engines working at Rochelle and the wayfreights meeting. Phil Russell first
painted the hills on the CTC machine in House 9 in 1974 and they were still
there
when the machine was junked in Galesburg. The Milw Depot is still being used in
Mendota(Sits South of the tracks) The use to have a roundhouse in the shadow of
the
GOB pile in Ladd which before the Depression had 32 pool turns. Besides the
Whitebreast Coal Mine at Ladd (or Third Vein Coal Mine depending on what year)
the
Cherry Mine there were three mines south of the river (GOB piles still exist at
most).SJH

--
Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/