HELP SAVE THE AURORA DEPO

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: HELP SAVE THE AURORA DEPO
From: supchief17@a...
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:55:35 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/00 9:51:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
supchief17@a... writes:

<< In a message dated 9/13/00 7:11:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
Aeolus3@a...
writes:

<< Monday night the Aurora City Council at their meeting voted to put the
Aurora
Depot on the Historical Register. Plans are to build a sports complex on
the
site with the depot being torn down. Thus placing the Aurora Depot on the
register they can not tear it down.

Loren Johnson

I Must correct Loren on this issue.(sorry Loren). I when to the city hall
meeting on Monday night. It was proposed to the City Commissioners by
petition to have the Aurora Depot considered for The National Historical
Register. The Aurora Depot is scheduled for razing next month. The petition
read stated that the Aurora Depot was of historical value to the city of
Aurora. Architectural facts and values were also read. After the petition
was
read, the first person to speak was the Lawyer of the owner of the
building.(a local businessman).
He has owned the building for about 5 years. He bought the depot for
$300,000.00. He now stands to sell it for 1.3 million. His lawyer stated
that
in none of the Historical books of Aurora are any PICS of the depot, nor are
any comments made of its historical value.
He had a good point, All the copies of Historical books of Aurora, and,
etc., had no PICS of the depot. He stated that the building had no
significant architechual features, nor was the architect anyone special. He
rambled on about the commissioners would be doing a disservice to the people
of Aurora to put the building to a public hearing.
After the lawyer was done speaking, 3 people got up on behalf of saving
the depot. Several good speeches were given about saving the depot. Then it
was up to the vote of the Aurora Commissioners to either kill the petition,
and let the depot be torn down next month, or for it to go to a public
hearing for consideration for Historical Status.
The commission vote unanimously for the issue to go to public hearing.

As President of the Little Q Model RR Club, I plan to help in the fight to
save the old Aurora Depot. I will keep everybody informed of the City of
Aurora's doings in this matter.

BUT.........We need your help. If you want to save the old Aurora Depot,
please let me know, as the more names and support of the BRHS I have, the
more power I have to present to the Public Hearings, and other legal matters
that confront us ahead.

Feel free to contact me or Loren about saving our Depot. I plan to be at
all City meetings about the depot in the future. The commissioners have 45
days to decide if the Depot is worthy of saving on the Historical Register.
If the commission decides it is not, it will be torn down.

Please help to save our Depot..................................
Mike Griesmann
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/heartland/8114/littleq.html";>Little Q
Model Railroad Club</A>
President: Mike Griesmann