B&MR Roundhouse

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: B&MR Roundhouse
From: kczephyr@a...
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:20:42 EDT
Caught this on another e-group list. Thought it to be of interest
to this list.
-- Bill

Subj: [Midrail] B&MR Roundhouse
Date: 8/28/00 10:37:06 AM Central Daylight Time
From: paul-kim@t... (Paul S. Highland)
To: Midrail@E... (Midrail List), railfaners@egroups.com
(Railfanners List)

Gerald Kopiasz <mailto:hrrhs@a...> posts on Altamont Press
BBS regarding: B&MR Roundhouse

Greetings all,

Well, I hope this message is not violating any posting policies. If
so, I take full responsibility and apologize. My nonprofit
organization is working frantically to save a former
Burlington & Missouri River Railroad roundhouse that was
constructed in 1887. The structure is deteriorated, as can be
expected with a structure of that age. Despite that, our
architect and engineer deemed the structure as being
saveable. This is only one of two existing buildings of that
standardized plan.

Our goal is to turn the structure into a railroad museum comparing
railroad equipment of the past to equipment used today. Additionally,
we want to see the structure and site become the trailhead
for a local bike trail that extends over a former
railroad right of way. Our plan includes a bike shop to
rent bicycles to traveling folks that do not normally
bring their bikes with them.

The good news, is that we have a lot of supporters within the
community. The bad news is that we have about a week to make
significant progress towards our goals (ie. funding). Our goal is to
leave no stones unturned, hence why this post was created.

If you can offer any ideas leading to the salvation of this treasure,
or if you have any questions and/or comments, please feel
free to contact me.

Cordially,

Gerald Kopiasz, President Heartland Railroad Historical Society
402-598-6641