Re: [BRHSlist] Ride Qualities(?).

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Ride Qualities(?).
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:49:36 -0500
About the Amtrak 500's.......As we began losing our E's to Amtrak when BN
gave up passenger service, we got SP and UP E's. Compared to our clean,
maintained engines, these were disasters. Trip after trip right out of
Galesburg or the CUS the alarm bells would start ringing. Many, many trips
I would not see the engineer again until we stopped at the end of the run.
A firemans job (even in the days of diesel) was to make sure the engineer
always had power. Back in the engine room, one never pulled power away from
the engineer. We were expected to do what was neccessary. If that meant
blocking open relays with fusee parts, so be it. EVERYTIME a electrician or
machinist climbed aboard, the fireman would be right with him watching and
learning. I'm sure most enginemen feel this, never would one want to have
the mechanical force show up to solve a problem only to find it was
something very simple to begin with. We carried fuse pullers, and a copy of
the gray book. More importantly we really used them. Many times we carried
copies of other machanical books. Some of us fired mainline passenger for
years. I never did try igniting a boiler with a fusee although I have been
working on them when they blew up. Boilers, covered in rust, dripping water
and steam, would shut down and refuse to operate. Many of the odd, even
handles on the valves of the boilers were missing on this newly aquired junk
and one HAD to start looking for the heat exchanger of a boiler and start
tracing pipes. Summer into winter was more of a nightmare. At least those
other railroad's E's didn't have "hatch tanks" to worry about. Even our E's
were starting to lose ground so we saw frt. GE's tacked on the head end in
different power lashups. FINALLY the new Amtrak 500's started showing up.
One at a time so that we would run with a 500 in the lead and 3 or 4 E's
trailing. More bells, and more climbing between locomotives. As any one
who has done it knows, going from door to door wasn't bad, door to nose
wasn't bad, but nose to nose at track speed or above in the winter time
would force snow into ones eyes and nose as you are stepping across two
bouncing locomotives. Finally the 500's were the main stay but there was NO
relaxing on those at 79 mph and above. We had heard that somewhere out in
the north-west these locomotives ran quite well on a certain piece of
railroad but we never found these anything but ultra violent. When Harding
rolled Homer here at Galesburg, the 500's were field tested at some new,
very uncomfortable speeds until Bob was forced to retire. The Amtrak 600's
did ride better at track speed but there was nothing, nothing like riding
those silver E's up around High Street on a cold morning pulling full
skirted Budd equipment..............
and I'm sure Karl you will concur, any crew member who rode those early
6 wheel trucked G E's would gladly lend a hand at the scrap yard. Bill