Progress on the B&MRR

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Progress on the B&MRR
From: "David Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:16:52 -0500
Cc: "'Dan Osborn'" <dosborn@p...>, "'Hank Kraichley'" <hank@g...>, "'John Lee'" <bnjohn@a...>, "'Ken Thompson'" <RRSPKEN@a...>, "'Randy Meyer'" <meyer@g...>, "'Richard Schumacher'" <richard@g...>, "'Rick & Venita Lake'" <publicity@g...>, "'Tom Engle'" <tengle1@e...>
July 14, 2000

Undaunted by the Midwest's temperatures in the 90's and equivalent humidity
levels, the B&MRR crews in Illinois & Iowa push forward the heavy work of
laying track. The yard in Galesburg are 95% complete, and the finish
grading in the Creston yard is nearing completion in preparation for track
laying next week. We have had some difficulty in obtaining the necessary
hardware for the turnouts, but anticipate their arrival shortly. Grading is
also partially complete on the grade from the river to Leffler's.

The most exciting news, though, is the completion of the helix between the
two staging yards! Several work trains have tested the quality of
track-laying, and we are beginning to establish tonnage ratings for the
1.823% grade. (It requires a pair of Life Like E's to pull the 10-car
Nickel Plate CZ up the helix!)

The crews are taking a well deserved rest today as a bonus for being ahead
of our aggressive schedule. The superintendent will be in Burlington
meeting with the folks at the Moehn Brewery to survey the site for their new
building and discuss siding needs. He then will be headed west to inspect a
possible connection at Albia, Iowa with the Appanoose County Community Rail
Road, the operator of former Wabash line between Moravia and Albia.

More later!

Dave Lotz
B&MRR Superintendent