M&StL Hotbox/Consist list

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: M&StL Hotbox/Consist list
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@c...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:15:05 -0500
Thought members of the CB&Q group might be interested in the following
information. While not Q material it offers an excellent picture of traffic
patterns on one Railroad.

Bill Landmesser Maint. Super for the MStL, kept a list of
emergency setouts for the years '48,49,50,58,59. Gene Green compiled this
list and intered it into the computer, it has almost 1400 entries. He sent
me a copy last fall. This list is now posted on the E-groups M&StL file
list. To access and download, go to your egroups list, click on M&StL, then
click on files. You will find it listed under files as HotBox48.txt

The list has the following categories/columns of information:
RR NO. REFERENCE PHOTO SOURCE SERIES MD IL
KIND OF CAR CLASS BLT BLDR MODELING
POSSIBILITIES DATE TRAIN CONTENTS LOCATION DELAY
REMARKS

It is in plain text format, tab seperated I believe, which can be opened
into a wordprocessor or spreadsheet program. I opened this file directly
into Quatro Pro 9 with no difficulty, I earlier opened it in Quatro Pro 8. I
have also opened it in WordPerfect, which would allow you to print it out.
Open into a Spreadsheet allows sepeate collums for each heading, and allows
you to sort the file by RR or contents or location, etc. It is a great
source of information of freight traffic on the M&StL. Remember this list
pertains to setouts, ie hotboxes, bad cars, etc. It is not a complete
picture of traffic on the M&StL. Lots of coal cars are listed, because coal
cars tended to be overloaded, hence leading to hotboxes and setouts. Other
commodities may be under represented simply because they were loaded in
better cars, or were of such light weight they did bring on a hotbox.

Gene did a lot of work preparing this information and we should thank him.
Thank him, if you get a chance. Gene, Clark and Mike Morgan have produced a
wonderful clinic on M&StL consists based on the data in this file. If you
should get a chance to see these guys in action, do so.

If you have problems accessing the file, be in touch and I will try to help.

Doug Harding