Portage crossing

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Portage crossing
From: "Brian Chapman" <cornbeltroute@a...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 12:49:16 -0000
Hello,
On the Chicago Great Western list, the angle of crossing between
the
Q's westbound main and the Illinois Central's eastbound main --
immediately west of Portage tower -- as it existed in the 1960s has
come up for discussion. Might someone here know the angle of this
crossing?
The 1967 Aurora Division track chart I have shows the turnouts at
this location were No. 15s. This computes, I think, to a 5-degree
angle of crossing, but this seems too shallow an angle when compared
to the photos I've seen. Thanks much for any help.
Brian