RE: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Narrow Gauge

To: "'BRHSlist@egroups.com'" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Narrow Gauge
From: TOM KOCH <tom.koch@a...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:25:06 -0500
Return-receipt-to: TOM KOCH <tom.koch@a...>

"I think the only narrow gauge operations actually under the CB&Q name
were the Black Hills roads in South Dakota, which connected to the
Spearfish branch and survived until about 1930. The last survivor of
the Black Hills locomotives was 537 (an outside-frame 2-8-0), which was
leased to the C&S narrow gauge operations during the 30s, still bearing
its CB&Q lettering & #."

The Black Hills had a host of Narrow Gauge operations that eventually came
under CB&Q control. I have a book titled "Railroads of the Black Hills" by
Mildred Fiedler (I think that is the spelling). It has been a while since I
found my copy as it is long out of print so I may be a little fuzzy on the
details. If you are interested in learning more regarding this area, I
would be happy to review the book for specifics.

Tom