Re: St. Louis

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: St. Louis
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:06:38 -0500
Regarding good railfanning sites in St. Louis, let me suggest two of my old
favorites.

(1) The Gratiot street tower, near the Ralston Co. complex just a little to the
south of downtown. I assume it is still there, but even if it isn't the
location is prime rail action. Access from the south side of the tracks, gives
good view of Busch Stadium and downtown buildings in background. Almost all
rail traffic from the Union Station area going east passes this point, and
diverges here -- some turning to go south along the river, some turning to go
north along the river, and some going across the river into Illinois. Some
observations to note: parking can be a problem, the space is tight, rail
traffic is at times heavy and, perforce, well-monitored by railroad personnel,
be alert (sometimes the only warning of approaching trains you get is the
rumbling sound), be as inconspicuous as possible, use good judgment. I have
followed these guidelines in the past, never been run off from there, and was
rewarded not only with great rail action but also with some very good
photographs. Check Amtrak's schedule ahead of time. The last I knew there was
both a westbound and an eastbound movement scheduled to pass there late in the
afternoon.

(2) The quintessentially classic, beautifully-maintained suburban passenger
depot at Kirkwood. If you go to Tinker Town hobbies in Clayton (I agree with
those who have written suggesting that hobby shop -- it is a very good store)
Kirkwood is just a few miles southwest. Proceed west from Tinker Town hobbies
on Clayton Rd. until you come to Lindbergh. Turn south and after a few miles
you will find the depot in downtown Kirkwood right where the UP (formerly MP)
tracks) crosses Lindbergh. There is plenty of parking, and a delightful
park-like area directly across the tracks from the depot. Years ago, when my
mother and I would drive to St. Louis to visit my aunt, I would always leave
several hours early so that we could spend time in that area enjoying a picnic
while watching, and photographing passing trains. Rail action can be either
heavy or light depending on circumstances, so suggest you time any visit there
to coincide with an Amtrak arrival so that you will at least get something.
There is an automobile and pedestrian overpass just west of the depot from
which you can get good overhead shots, if you like that perspective. There are
usually a lot of people around just enjoying themselves. It is an altogether
pleasant place.

Some who have written in response to this inquiry have noted Henze's Hobby shop
in Florissant. That, too, is a fine store. Some of you may not know that the
founder, Bill Henze (who I understand had not been active in the day-to-day
affairs of the business for several years) passed away suddenly late last week.
Those of us who knew him will miss him very much.