Re: [BRHSlist] Zephyr Grill

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Zephyr Grill
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:45:37 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/00 11:08:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
PIXELS@A... writes:

<< wasn't the eating
establishment on the east side of Canal at 14th Street the Zephyr Diner? >>

It would have been on the southeast "corner" of 14th & Canal. In the 70's
(that's 1970's!), it was run by a fellow everyone knew as "Pete da Greek".
Breakfast was the only safe meal to eat in the place but was frequently
interrupted by a daily argument between "Pete" and Aurora Division dinky
engineer, Alex Fox, (alias Fuska, alias Fusikus). I personally developed a
fondness for Rolaids as an after dinner mint, by frequenting the Zephyr Diner.
Another "Gag & Vomit" we should mention here, is the "Terminal Restaurant"
which was located under the elevated tracks of the Soo Line freight terminal
on the southwest corner of 14th & Canal, directly across Canal Street from
the Zephyr Diner. "Terminal" was an appropriate name for this establishment;
if the food wouldn't get you (grilled cheese was generally safe), the large
crowd of Postal workers who gathered there about 3 in the afternoon to make
use of the "Terminal's" liquor license, would (Postal workers have been known
to be excellent marksmen but short-tempered). I don't recall the Zephyr
Diner nor the Terminal Restaurant being open on the weekends (after
breakfast), so when I fired Mainline passenger out of Galesburg, we would
stop at the White Palace on the northeast corner of Roosevelt Rd. & Canal St.
after tying-up our "E" units at the Zephyr Pit. Don't recall anything
"white" about the "White Palace"; it was hardly a "Palace" but the word,
"ptomaine" rings a bell.
Can't forget Manny's on Roosevelt, nor the Union Station Restaurant on the SW
corner of Jackson & Canal for fine dining experiences. Just west of USR was
the tavern with bullet holes in the walls (name??); the saloon/pool hall on
Canal one block north of Adams that served free hot dogs on Sundays during
the football season.
None of the above could hold a candle to the "Deluxe Cafe" in Galesburg as I
awaited my return DH to Aurora on #20 after firing #19 Chicago to Galesburg
during the Spring of 1971.
All these "fond memories" reminds me to make an appointment with my
gastroenterologist.

Bob

P.S. - The bunkroom on the southeast corner of Roosevelt Rd & Canal was for
"dinky" crews. Mainline passenger crews stayed in the bunkroom in the Crooks
Terminal Warehouse.