Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Zephyr #9904

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Zephyr #9904
From: Ken Martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:54:27 -0700
Cc: JRDresser@a...
JRDresser@a... wrote:

> My husband's gt gt grandfather, John Kurns, was an engineer on the 9904
> Zephyr from Chicago to Savanna. He retired 31 Mar 1939 after more than
> 50 years of service. Does anyone know what happened to 9904 and where
> it might be today?
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks you,
> Julie
>
> Julie
> JRDresser@a...

Engine 9904 Pegasus was converted to a "B" unit in 1951 and dismantled
in 1957.

In the late 40's the cars in the train were used on the Nebraska Zephyr
between Chicago and Lincoln, Neb. until the train was canceled in the 60's.
The cars were subsequently acquired by the museum at Union, Ill. where they
are occasionally run on museum track and on rare occasion have been taken on
trips, the engine used there is a different engine.

Further information is in the society Bulletins #13 and #22 available. through
Society page at:

http://www.burlingtonroute.com/

Ken Martin