Re: [BRHSlist] 5600-5607

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 5600-5607
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 06:45:10 -0500
R Gamlen wrote:

> Ron
> According to Corbin's Steam Locos, the Sold for Scrap dates are as follows:
> 5600 5-60 5604 6-60
> 5601 5-61 5605 9-60
> 5602 6-60 5606 5-60
> 5603 5-55 5607 10-60

Unfortunately, scrap dates don't tell you much about "withdrawal from
service" dates for the O-5s, M-4s, S-4s, and late-surviving O-1s. Until
1960/61, the Q retained an emergency pool of steam locomotives, divided
between Galesburg and (IIRC) Lincoln. I saw and photographed (badly, on
b&w film) portions of the Galesburg storage line in late 1960; I also
watched a "funeral train" of 20 O-5s and M-4s (without tenders and
drawbarred cab-to-cab) progress through Mt. Pleasant, IA, eastbound
about the same time.

I'm afraid the only way to get a definitive answer to Ron's "last in
service" question would be to go through the mid-to-late '50s locomotive
assignment rosters and watch for the last of the 5600-5607 block to go
into the "stored serviceable" column.

Marshall