Re: [CBQ] Question concerning dawn-to-dusk run related item

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question concerning dawn-to-dusk run related item
From: "Bryan Howell via groups.io" <tubaman21=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:39:29 +0000 (UTC)
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zohomail.com; dkim=pass; spf=pass (zohomail.com: domain of groups.io designates 66.175.222.12 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=bounce+11863+66205+703214+1544929@groups.io
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; t=1706297972; h=Content-Type:Date:Date:From:From:In-Reply-To:List-Subscribe:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:MIME-Version:Message-ID:Reply-To:Reply-To:References:Sender:Subject:Subject:To:To:Message-Id:Cc; bh=qiAk191fGvim8cQtqjghTeKO7bMDi7m/n5AUxU+i1pE=; b=DZy1b82TsjQgRaN8UoVw0RZBuGIqxgQ5MlFAsEY4g723ozFjZQyaYHsAdOaHI0RyQ16D4+N6t4cnJd9IXL74j9agYOnNORNR3pb6xfBv9SxdpsMu8mJ08wfgz/sHUMH/cMb3YdgLLHRFiTxHBocz3FMdF/K/D+sSTBm2L7NTRgM=
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1706297972; cv=none; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; b=ZSWzDOCqfqtXByfQzY+rzBHV7OtN1ZyCrtyF1VU4EXMA6P6tQrEcnEpRFTRg6+vfEcuCrQC3nyDA4upG+udeXZqf3emtRQpd1HqwDI6MGSgi4N0pjrnBtktCkS3frPAhYD2mhHJOOKOtv/+MTx/fqarzIKtZ7fAKha0Jw0QZ3pM=
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=GsWVlrijwbkuJ60R294BlcYIwp6y9XMMBsoRe8s9TKs=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:MIME-Version:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type:Content-Length; s=20140610; t=1706297971; v=1; b=EzoIvD0C6CazjWNtpoq7AopjaqNncF/Au+sn18nmN9iKWyKF+LrMLkSUuMk7BGoir2ffup33 F6ePz3cvuulnywmWl4PHFwdk/XJtX0expZ5BkTuqkOjwqv+l1903TqmBp1kzp3Y7NmuAnmm3U6Q CHiiZEV8N62QfmbY0ocpWuOA=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Daniel,

I have not been able to confirm that a Fred W. Johnson was a passenger on the May 26 run. His name does not appear on the list of known passengers in The Pioneer Zephyr by Carl R. Byron and Robert Rediske. However, that list is incomplete as it only lists 25 passengers and 14 crew while standard capacity was 72 people. There were chairs added to the baggage and RPO sections for the run bringing the unconfirmed capacity up to at least 85 people on the run. As for whether the envelope was on the run, it does appear to have. In Rediske's earlier PZ book on page 89, he has scans of another of the envelopes that is nearly identical to the one you have that was also signed by Jack Ford and was in Jack's son Merrit's collection at the time of publication. The caption with the scans seems to agree with your assessment that it was carried on the run. The one in the book does not carry the handwritten text on the back about there only being 70 pieces of mail carried, but I have no reason not to believe it based on the postmarks on the envelope and the fact that the USPS would often do special cancellations for events such as this. I can't imagine there are many of these envelopes left given that there were probably only 70 to begin with. It is a very cool piece and thanks for sharing it!

Bryan J. Howell
Superior, WI