Re: [CBQ] 2024 Calendar

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 2024 Calendar
From: "cbqbill1x" <kybillhusb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:02:14 -0500
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zohomail.com; dkim=pass; spf=pass (zohomail.com: domain of groups.io designates 66.175.222.12 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=bounce+11863+66124+703214+1544929@groups.io; dmarc=fail header.from=<kybillhusb@gmail.com> (p=none dis=none)
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; t=1703966549; h=Content-Type:Date:Date:From:From:List-Subscribe:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:MIME-Version:Message-ID:Reply-To:Reply-To:Sender:Subject:Subject:To:To:Message-Id:Cc; bh=XZeWGFNoxPjCDpvZl1ByD5Yin6w2WLldJpDO6UtZwk0=; b=UWVSsWHf0aNhlMUezgfiVCCuA/5dEsz4LcbobINkiDAEZRa9LuPiDLJ2i2N0cFIHg7gbtCeKUT++7jG2wUXFbl1wb9mvig0fIHjT5P7qRbBWZ3eAM8cVkGedYoYeoL6RZ3YEwXePMJTDJ55+IlZLYxh66hG2eAaC9cBHyBmQFFM=
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1703966549; cv=none; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; b=beFjHGWvuv76lPsOhLFcgjb70t59SrmjBb6vqDsblWZeFLGG4r17EfRwKe9jwYh/uUAxfpPt7FWb96Kt684NDHfTy2mEYiziphvb1cld5DLB5Oqs6AryX/AItb2yLLOpVUdFGXk2XcpqdQMBZ56djru5qnj0Cf0PYh54JSmGyI0=
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=EeQfmzm3xo5IB8R6uwlAKiQi3MaBmSu9wqGv6AJBAbA=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=MIME-Version:From:Date:Message-ID:Subject:To:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type; s=20140610; t=1703966549; v=1; b=BqxvaF+b4pYcuQi7cy9IzqKIOa/J5ax2kuPRLgwkauUCkmhGRDPFfJ06Q/FjTk1kbms8FntN amvn7BAIDU8QzhhEK/uvV9OmNrUr79lg0dH+7n7ddSXSgmpzLb32E0Ld81YCM0cOBciM1ClWz+d F+tKGYHRiXIYnCvirhIvVc4U=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Kudos for the publications:

1. Thanks for the calendar. I really appreciated the detailed commentary and work that went into preparing the calendar. Most of the scenes were small towns that I had never heard of before. These gave me a new perspective.

A few additional comments:

Corning. MO is near the Nebraska State Line and is about half way between St. Joseph, MO and Plattsmouth, NE. It would have been on the Kansas City-Omaha line of the Burlington.

Villisca is 18 miles southeast of Red Oak, IA and  about 60 miles southeast of Omaha.

The October 2024 calendar page shows a baggage cart full of milk cans ("Cream Cans") being loaded on the Concordia, KS local. Milk, and dairy products shipments, along with express, and LCL were an important part of the railroad's profitability. I recall riding one of the last trips of the C&NW's Kate Shelly between Elgin, IL and Ames, IA. It took about 9 hours to travel 300 miles at an average speed of 33 mph, and the train stopped at every station (or so it seemed) to pickup and set out milkcans.  The train was discontinued after that.

Nemaha, NE is 33 miles south of Nebraska City.

Tarkio, MO is about 80 miles south and east of Omaha.

Wymore, NE is 56 miles south of Lincoln, NE

2. The last Burlington Bulletin No. 71 was excellent: the "I am a Burlington Man" article, and the "Jeep" articles were excellent and much appreciated. The Biography of Bill Greenwood was particularly interesting. I had seen many of the converted Troop train cars in the Chicago area in the 1950s, and had a general knowledge of their background but not this. The "Hooping up orders" in Mendota (lower left, p 9) was a classic.

Your picture at the bottom of page 17 ("the ADM Shuttle at Greenwood" brought back memories. The article mentions Meriden, IL which was of interest. There are just 15 people living in Meriden today, according to one web site. Back in the 1920s and 1930s, there were enough people to justify a school, where my aunt taught before being married. ADM, is of course, a big operation, but it is relatively new. Prior to its construction, the only nearby elevator was in Earlville (7 miles east of Meriden). The elevator was directly in back of my grandfather's house, on the south side of the CB&Q mainline. My grandfather's house was on the north side of the tracks. The CB&Q and. C&NW Spring Valley branch junction, interlocking and wye was just west of the elevator. The wye ran through my grandfather's property, but I understand it has now been removed. The wye was used to turn doodlebugs (motors) and steam trains that ran from Chicago to Earlville (called Billy's train, in honor of the long time conductor). My mother and I used to ride this train from Western Springs to Earlville up until the end of World War II, after which the train was cancelled.

3. Lastly, the Union Pacific was mentioned in the previous message. I also belong to the Union Pacific Historical Society. "The Streamliner" is their publication, and the most recent issue Vol 37, No. 4 Autumn 2023 featured the Burlington's 4-8-4 #5626 and #5632 in a four page article "A Modern-Day Boomer" by Jack Haley. I saw many of the Burlington's 4-8-4s from the back of my grandfathers house in Earlville starting their trains toward Chicago. It was a real show!

The attached comes from my "Explore Rail History" database, which will be (hopefully) available to a limited number of users next year for testing and comments. This list includes all railroads owned (entirely, or partially), leased, controlled, or merged into the CB&Q. You can see a summary of the database at www.ExploreRailHistory.com
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#66124) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_