Re: [CBQ] Flag Center, ILL

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Flag Center, ILL
From: "Richard Gortowski via groups.io" <rgortowski=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:29:26 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=kf9P6Mb3/kC5xi2UPOerhUXZ+HdjUA5/cNRLEq3jf+I=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:MIME-Version:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type:Content-Length; s=20140610; t=1694352592; v=1; b=eGFPkar7XXjcnZfiHlVoMpXel1D9vTwzOpCwpHGe93WcoNQWD9TJRCWEBxsKQwg6acUPv+Vp GiFewwjgqbsqtA3LQyOjnqpE2+fCdHfKLDE4gIHZxZUOyrFl10StmWIYaQZivxZk/1AsQpoS6O3 FfkrZR4JujBvMP1xjLARkCxs=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Richard,

It depends on when.  There was a two-story depot there until the mid-1940's,  The only shots I've seen of that structure are some photos in the John Barringer collection, and they are not direct photos.  In the mid-1940's the old depot was torn down it was replaced by a repurposed box car.  It was not a depot, but used by the railroad.  Finally, in 1962/63 they replaced this structure with a small stucco shack.  This is the image most people are familiar with.

The last two structures can be seen by going to the Lake States online site (lakestatesarchives.org) and typing in Flag Center IL into the search bar.  It brings up 55 images in and around Flag Center (with watermarks.)  Download or prints can be purchased on-line.

Flag Center had a wye for the Rockford Branch.  It also was where the short stretch of two mainlines on the C&I from Steward Junction through Rochelle went back to one main.  The Milwaukee Road had trackage rights over this territory (Steward Junction to Flag Center)  This stretch of the Q was among the first in the country to receive CTC in 1929.

Rich G