Re: [CBQ] GP7s in black and grey with BN #s ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GP7s in black and grey with BN #s ?
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:11:15 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I was assigned as the service representative for EMD at Clyde Diesel Shop in
Cicero, IL in May, 1971. (I also provided service coverage to Galesburg, West
Burlington and Lincoln). At Clyde, the railroad had one bay of the old
roundhouse structure set up as a paint shop, primarily for E units. Locomotives
would be brought in to the paint shop, chemically stripped, cosmetically
repaired as needed, (there was a lot of body putty work on the noses), prepped
for painting, and then primed and painted in green and black. I don’t recall
the exact time, but each unit spent about a week in the paint facility with a
crew of two or three workers. I believe it was a one shift operation, but work
may have been done on the second shift at times. I don’t recall any other
locomotive models being painted at Clyde, but that may have occurred. As Bryan
Howell notes, all of the locomotives had already been renumbered prior to
repainting. I was reassigned from Clyde in August, 1972 and the work was still
going on at that time. I know that such work occurred at other shops as well.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO