Re: [CBQ] Ostrander Iron Ore from CGW to CB&Q (was Re: Q Connection Sale

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ostrander Iron Ore from CGW to CB&Q (was Re: Q Connection Sale)
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:08:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom,

The attached consist is from July 3, 1965. You will see ore cars moving to Cadet MO. That was the junction on the MP mainline to their branch to the new Pea Ridge Ore Mine located on the MP south of St. Louis. The MP built a new branch to service the mine. This was a deep ore mine and the ore quality was very high. The MP society did a bulletin on operations there.

Of course the question is why was ore moving to an ore mine? The answer I gathered from some old head MP employees was that these ore moves were used to calibrate the machinery at the new mine that determined the richness of the ore that was being shipped out. Note all of the ore shipped in was in gondolas. Most of the ore that moved out this mine was shipped to Bethlehem Steel.

Bill Hirt