Re: [CBQ] What's for lunch?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's for lunch?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:32:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

I should say that I never turned up my nose at much of my mom’s  cooking just that she wasn’t as good as my grandmother or grandfather who was a pretty good chef as well….except when she tried to serve me liver, lima beans, or Brussels sprouts (my son calls them puke balls).   I am also allergic to any variety of seafood (a cow spending too much time standing in a stream might be a problem for me!! and my trips to a Japan were a challenge …..they sneak sea products like seaweed into candy!!!).   But my well-rounded physique is proof that being able to find sustenance was never a problem for me.   One thing my mother used to make that I have persuaded my daughter into recreating is “Fruit Cocktail Pie” which is a pudding/cheesecake like concoction with fruit cocktail in a graham cracker piecrust.   I just had my annual one as I recently celebrated my birthday.

Getting back to railroads, a few years ago a group of N Scalers chartered the Silver Solarium and Silver Rapids.   They were going to be deadheaded from Los Angeles for use on an excursion connected with the N Scale Enthusiast Convention being held in Sacramento to the WP Portella Railroad Museum.  Matt from Fox Valley Models decided to get in on the movement so we flew from Chicago to LA, boarded the cars attached to the Southwest Chief and enjoyed a great ride back to Chicago.  We laid over a couple of days and boarded the cars again, this time attached to the rear of the California Zephyr to Sacramento.   The Silver Solarium had a small kitchen added on either side of the aisle at the forward end of the car.   The food that came out of that tiny space was magical!!!  The chef had cruise ship experience and was top notch!!!   And eating at the tables added to the dome was something you couldn’t have done during CB&Q days.  What a trip that was!!!

Charlie Vlk