Re: [CBQ] Guernsey/Hartville

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Guernsey/Hartville
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 00:40:14 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
March 2, 2019

Brian - I'm going to go along with Charlie's opinion.  Looking at its headlight, boiler, domes, bell, cab and tender, this 4-4-0 doesn't look like any Class A 4-4-0 on the Q.  I've enlarged the image and the tender has in large block numbers 323.  The Q did have a Class A-2 numbered such, but it was retired in September 1905 and I think this image dates later. As for the C&S, they had a standard gauge 323, but it was a 4-6-0. So, if Wyoming, I agree with Charlie that it's a C&NW 4-4-0.

I'm not a C&NW expert, but if someone on this List is, maybe they can further identify.  Unusual to see a headlight mounted on a water tank car. Never seen this done on a Q.  I would speculate that the car was used on a branch line where there was no turning at the far end, so when the locomotive was backing the water car behind the tender needed a headlight so the engineer could see the tracks at night. This is an interesting old image.  Thanks much for sharing. Best Regards - Louis