Re: [CBQ] Switcher at Leavenworth, KS 1961 (was 1957)

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Switcher at Leavenworth, KS 1961 (was 1957)
From: "Fred Crissey" <fhc925@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:06:12 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Boys and Girls:
I've enjoyed reading about Leavenworth and I want to put my two cents in.  When I was chief clerk in the Q's Detroit Sales Office in the mid 1960's I would see the occasional car of flour moving from Leavenworth to Buick Motor at Flint, MI via CB&Q- C&O.  What in earth would Buick being using flour for?  I asked the salesman who covered that territory and the boss who handled the auto accounts about it.  Neither one knew but the boss suggested I call Buick Traffic and find out.  I did and I happened to get a guy who I had known in Detroit when he worked for the IC.  After I made some disparaging remarks about Buick using paste to assemble their products with and receiving some nasty cracks about the Burlington he told me that the flour was used in some of their air pollution control devices at the plant.  The flour was not food grade but it would attract the bad particles which attach to it and they could separate it and dispose of without it going into the atmosphere.  The railroad business is always fascinating.
Fred Crissey