Re: [CBQ] Re: Broken Bow, NE

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Broken Bow, NE
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 23:37:57 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glen...That would put it IIRC in about the center of the WYE which laid almost perpendicular to the main track with the stem to the east almost directly east of the depot.

The single stall engine house which was there in 56 is still standing there in it's same location just about directly east of the depot.

If memory serves correctly and it usually does when it comes to trivia matters of no special value we never turned the engine, just left it sit outside  (south) of the engine house.  There was a roundhouse guy whose name was Roy and who had a big black dog that came over the 3 nights each week the engine was there and "fiddled" around with the engine all night.  His main duty then was to take us train crew guys "up town" for breakfast...

He worked 3 nights at Sargent and the other three at Burwell doing the same thing.  I never figured out why those guys were necessary....there was a like position at Fairmont where the guy worked 6 nights a week since there was an engine there those 6 nights....That job had been cut off sometime in early 1958..shortly before I got the Hildreth local job.  Since those light weight SD &'s had a small fuel tank they could only make one round trip without fueling we had to change engines with No. 71 the Lincoln-Hastings local each trip.

Pete