[CBQ] Help me understand

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Help me understand
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:20:18 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
What follows is a true incident story I told during my presentation after
dinner at the spring meet. I'll say upfront,I understand very little of how a
steam loco. Really worked.
So I'm asking for an explanation of how and why the following happened.

It's the fall of 1952, engineer "Can't help it Nelson" and fireman Cecil Piggot
are heading west on the Fox River branch on a light engine move from Eola
roundhouse to Ottawa to trade out engines. They are to deliver this 0-6-0 to
the engine house at Ottawa and bring back the like engine there for inspection
at Eola.

They have topped over Fox hill and a drifting downgrade toward Millbrook."
Can't help it" is intently watching the R-O-W for rabbits,as he has his shotgun
at the ready. As they near the bottom of the grade the fearless engineer opens
the throttle and all sorts of noise and shuttering of the loco ensues. They
stop to ascertain why. "Can't help it "states he thinks they are "on the
ground" and starts for the tender. Cecil goes out in front of the loco to look
around. They determine that the engine is not on the ground but that both side
rods are severely bent.

Please help me understand the mechanisms of what happened.

Thanks,

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com