RE: [CBQ] Cardboard grain doors was St Francis Branch

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Cardboard grain doors was St Francis Branch
From: "'Tom Kline' TKline@airmail.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:06:34 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Pete and all,

The Rock Island’s Southern Division must have been the designated Signode paper grain door territory because that’s all we saw almost up until abandonment.  The cardboard was reinforced with ¾ inch spans steel bands that were also sold by Signode to band lumber together.

When I was taught the proper inspection of trains during a roll-by the torn remnants of one of these doors was something to look out for and one of the reasons to stay a ways back from the hot rail.  Looking like harmless paper dunnage dragging along the almost invisible sharp steel bands could cause some damage to someone who thought they could pull the debris loose by grabbing it as a car slowly passed.  I have vivid recollections of cars passing at night at high speed with the steel bands sparking along the ballast as they flailed along.

Since we were a joint operation with the Ft. Worth & Denver the Signode doors were seen on their equipment too.  Wooden doors appeared every now and but the dragging remains of paper doors on both railroads 40 foot boxcars were common.   On the trains feeding the grain elevators of Houston and Galveston in the late 70’s covered hoppers accounted for about ¾ of the haulage and 40’ boxcars the rest.  I have photos of strings of CB&Q 40’ PS1’s gathered to be pulled from grain service dating from about 1980.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tom Kline

Houston