[CBQ] Early Baggage Cars [2 Attachments]

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Early Baggage Cars [2 Attachments]
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:11:40 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner included below]

Last month Ken Martin posted a view of CB&Q 4-4-0 No. 53 that led to considerable back-and-forth about the possible occasion of the photo, and also about the trailing car, which Ken subsequently showed us more of (pardon the poor grammar).  I still believe this to be a baggage car, and I referenced an early photo at Burlington showing another similar car.  Now I've run across a published image of an early B&MR-Iowa train stopped at a depot in Iowa probably in the late 1860s or early 1870s.  I can't make out the name of the locomotive, but it trails a similar, though somewhat shorter, baggage car.  This was a very common design in the 1860s -- but the iron fishbelly side sill on the Q car remains a very unusual feature, especially with the truss rods just below it.  Both images are attached.

Hol

Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner | View attachments on the web

2 of 2 Photo(s)