[CBQ] Re: compatibility of engines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: compatibility of engines
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:54:33 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1392612879; bh=INZ9iP0HcBZEqU5RcYFQw64ekTY6TpS09LwptNwQFNE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=NtDGrm6rTfYvMCVzBkmq8n1xqzjAXHP2urvLKGc7i8i9JF7lJXFdksCt4Q6A93pVmNPCEycxesR7TjfUscpTrkdkFrwaLKmvANU5HXJQz3X3xnJIytTllUrcmRpa3O8DpMiK0qvLEbcnu3u+2gP6vnFHbHaQI8TpgW+rbf4ndqs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

No, each unit will provide all of the horsepower that it can at a given
throttle position. The combined horsepower of the locomotives will achieve a
specific balanced speed given the train weight and any gradient. Horsepower
equals speed. Tractive effort determines the amount of load that can be pulled.
Some locomotive combinations work together better than others, but under most
condition, they will all work together. An SD7 can't provide the same
performance as an SD45 or an SD70ACe for that matter. They are generations
apart. However, each can do the job that it was designed to do within it's
performance characteristics. Some crews didn't like having GE locomotives mixed
with EMD in the same consist because the loading characteristics of each model
were different when starting a train.

Bil Barber
Gravois Mills, MO