[CBQ] NCL and EB Running

To: cbq <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] NCL and EB Running
From: mytrainstuff stuff <mytrainstuff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:16:00 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1382483782; bh=F/57MzZKO/rNJXN8bmnLvtO70MfAZpYe/n0Na9fuSYM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=VNS9n29aMd9Iaq6CnRI31HAtCYBpzWgQ1bd6p+auaE0tz+2LQDkrc9NS0jAtMKUYOV5aqY9wZ8Nfeg/S9mGFkjydj+Zv6cAqaaEDMgTXqqTuC/17BsMmwL89eP4zdmWDJ+8yZh6FyHWTHqe2hu+vXXawzVQk63AKvhChmH2e0iA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Back in the early '40's, when I was a fairly young boy, my parents and I often traveled on the TZ between Chicago and East Dubuque.  I can recall a night when the Afternoon TZ was a bit late arriving in Chicago (wartime travel no doubt). Leaving CUS, we used the fenced in chute along the west wall of the station to get to the El.  That night, I saw both the E.B. and the NCL on tracks 2 & 4 preparing for their trip to the Twin Cities.

My question: I used to have several time tables of that time and they showed the two transcontinentals leaving CUS 15 minutes apart but from Aurora west, their separate schedules became one all the way to St. Paul.  Did the two become one train at Aurora or did one become the second section of the other so it could run on the same schedule?

I've pondered this for many years and have now, finally, asked a group where someone surely has the answer.

--
Bernie Lyngdal
Tomahawk WI