Re: [CBQ] Meat Traffic on the C&I

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Meat Traffic on the C&I
From: Bryan Howell <tubaman21@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1374117603; bh=xhdfcqmql5oShCKs8WCxoKaF647JsrDgJ4kTEwyKTXI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=GlGadW0b6QyiQw2uoqtma8Sllz7StZl1NVcQb3Xy9hYIu+hMXr9evvnn4Mncd/HzsKz7H40Sg8gC1LsT3xDStv/yyiLsAB/+LZGg4AEfPvsn2s6K4MHrLKuw9ypVn1KhkLRH9hkRhYU5xVJgf3UOQE7K0KRyDpW7nQ5UV4dh6NE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The 20013, Number 1 issue of NorthWestern Lines from the CNWHS covered the CGW in the Twin Cities and included a section on the meat packing industry in South St. Paul.  The information you are looking for will be on page 28.  To paraphrase, the CGW handled switching at the plants after they purchased control of the St. Paul Bridge & Terminal.  Starting in 1950 for Armour and in 1953 for Swift, they rotated carries weekly for eastbound shipments.  The Milwaukee, RI, CB&Q, Omaha, CGW and Soo were in the Armour rotation while the Soo, MILW, CHW, RI, Omaha and CBQ made up the Swift cycle.  There was incentive for the railroads to make the eastern connections and if they didn't, they would be removed from the rotation for a time.  Eventually, the CGW ended up with most of this traffic on Thursdays for Monday delivery out east.  Two CGW yard jobs worked Armour and Swift and made setouts at the Belt Yard, just west of Dayton's Bluff, around 4:30-5:30PM.  Each RR had a track in the Belt Yard that their transfers would pick up.  Just throwing this out there, based on this timing, perhaps this traffic was handled mainly in overnight runs on the C&I?

The CRI&P tracks went south to Des Moines and Kansas City.  Traffic on the RI to Chicago could be handled via Manly-Iowa City-Chicago or via Des Moines going south from the Cities.

Bryan J. Howell