[CBQ] Boston & Maine F7A 4268

To: drgw@yahoogroups.com,"CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Boston & Maine F7A 4268
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:47:06 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1353376033; bh=lNNHMW+VS8xE1hoi6vma8nssapHnfQLkS+89AJGVvN8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Mailer:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=dhoDa4hBaC290+bYcwpMD5pxuo/dsnT1roPNSnSr7IzT8OYSpbcjqDMn72vS657wW/Y61LzTIYIjOvAE0yJYcZjRfgoYCAx27o2w3pgfaxqBKm4LyoaKwl8ouyFK8lODvx2ronc2srT88678ckEe25hnf3LO1oX9jQKq3/eUNCQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I received the following inquiry, which is related to both the D&RGW & CB&Q (and EMD for that matter).     I suggested that this be sent to some folks, and forgot to send this on to these lists at that time (and I was traveling around, which limited access).   At any rate, if anyone has further information, they can either send me a private email (rgz17@comcast.net) or simply reply on list as I'm sure others might be interested.

Good day,

My name is Dennis Adams, I am a past officer of the Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Society and am currently assisting in researching an article for the B&M BULLETIN about the four EMD F7's purchased by the B&M in 1949.

In the course of our research, we discovered that the unit to become B&M 4268A was not originally ordered by the railroad, it was EMD Engineering Test Unit #930. In the course of its testing, it spent time on the D&RGW doing high-altitude testing. We have a photo of it at Soldier Summit, UT courtesy of Jack Wheelihan of EMD, with a converted B-unit Engineering Test Car along for the ride. I have attached a scan of that photo for your archives.

Following high-altitude testing, it was painted in Burlington colors and attended the Chicago Railroad Fair in 1949, possibly a deal fell through, and it ended up on the B&M.

When retired by the B&M, it was stripped, the hulk purchased by a private individual, upon his passing the 470 Railroad Club of Portland, Maine acquired the hulk, transported it to the Conway Scenic Railr
o ad in North Conway, NH, where it has restored to it's maroon and gold (D&RGW-esque) paint and joined operating sibling #4266A. A happy footnote, this fall, a GP7 was acquired as a "donor", with plans for the prime mover, traction motors, etc to be placed into the 4268's hulk, and give two operating B&M F's.

We are hoping that your archive or membership might have a photo or information about a rogue EMD Test Unit operating on the D&RGW sometime in early to mid 1949.

We appreciate anything that you may be able to help us with in our endeavors.

Thank you

Dennis

And Hol was quick to add:

A little info on this unit's role in the 1949 Chicago Railroad Fair. The Burlington and D&RGW cooperated closely on displays at the railroad fair, even to both operating steam-powered narrow gauge trains on the fair site. With the California Zephyr inaugurated in March 1949 there was also considerable emphasis on new Budd passenger equipment, particularly dome cars, and since neither the Q nor the Rio Grande could (or would) spare a diesel unit to display with the passenger cars, the Burlington approached EMD about furnishing such a unit, and EMD 930 in CB&Q passenger colors was the result. Whether the Burlington paid EMD for this assistance has not thus far been discovered. The Q never had any intention of purchasing the unit; it was merely borrowed for display at the fair. I saw a great publicity photo of it at the fair offered on eBay last year but was outbid for it.

Hol Wagner

Bob Webber