[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Doodlebugs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Doodlebugs
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:56:26 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1343051790; bh=2pJHAcwtsYp4zMZkuFsIgcN53m4lrbKBg2IN2c8s5X8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=t2leekDB8hag+gBWQDhL3ojbQSWCzDtRIL7sL5o9UBr8UziyhilkbcoOUgTx7VmeX6K8459G3HUMI755S/wUuK35IpblgZqFLNBYPXbFR6OixBx4zpmUNzOynKzDg1xU
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jack,

I have photos of 9844 and 9845 that my dad took in 1942 and they have the same equipment. Judging by the position of the pipe, it may have been a vent or filling pipe (or both) for the engine cooling system. The pipe appears to be slightly tapered toward the top and is fitted with some sort of white or silver cap or diffuser. The other piping may have been compressed air cooling piping. I need to find my photos. Of course, the entire front end arrangement changed when they converted these cars to diesel. There is a side elevation drawing of car no. 9844 in Corbin's "Burlington in Transition". It includes a few more photos, but some of the cars don't even appear to have the pipe.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO