[CBQ] My Doodlebug Sound Solution

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] My Doodlebug Sound Solution
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:42:23 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1332078141; bh=xh1iqpeG4kY4haawA8bfmPNG5Pqd6nwIISUZvIyXvQ4=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=pS14F0NK4AKj7vd61l2DlmY3SuJwbOZbXh0UhBXx7V+YYRIRQ7MGHZFBCHXbVTsAsTkekALup/5Wg8yVCCHfZb9jcSY31BSgTtvdJC1AxmUf+62xaJ73dmkylIHhIzpr
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

David Morgan states in Diesels West that EMC subcontracted production of gasoline engines for CB&Q gas-electric motor cars to The Winton Motor Company and eventually bought the company in 1930. Since many of the Q motor cars were built in 1928, their gasoline engines were among the last such engines built by The Winton Motor Company. Winton started making diesels shortly after EMC took over, and the 201 and 201A of Pioneer Zephyr fame were the first efforts.

All of which brings me back to motor car sounds. Did a 6 or 8 cylinder 275 hp Winton gasoline engine sound like a 1000 hp diesel engine from De La Vergne? Probably not. The 400 hp gas-electrics were noticeably louder than the 275 hp models, so it’s probable that a 1000 hp 8 cylinder diesel engine from De La Vergne would be significantly more robust in sound than the 400 hp gas-electric, much less the 275 hp gas-electric. The only available sounds for DCC decoders that might come close to the 6 or 8 cylinder Winton gasoline engine would seem to me to be the Rolls Royce 275 hp sound file or the Winton diesel sound file, both from QSI. Did motor car diesel conversions sound like a VO-1000? I don’t know, because I haven’t been able to find out what diesel engines were installed in converted motor cars, though caterpillar engines have been suggested. I would think the diesel conversions would sound much like the first generation diesel switchers, e.g. the 450 hp switchers from Midwest Locomotive Works with a pair of Cummins 6 cylinder diesels, or the SW with its Winton 201A 8 cylinder inline 600 hp diesel.

Since I have two VO-1000s switching the yard while motor cars come and go, I don’t want my motor cars to sound like VO-1000s. Since I have two articulated shovelnoses coming and going, I don’t want my motor cars to sound like 9900 or 9902, which have Winton sounds from QSI. That leaves me with the remaining small diesel or Galloping Goose sounds from QSI, Tsunami, or LokSound – or I can go with the Rolls Royce engine sounds, presumably from an 8 cylinder gasoline engine, from QSI. After listening to all of the alternatives, I’ve decided to go with the Rolls sounds from QSI until something better comes along. My rationale is that an 8 cylinder Winton gasoline engine and an 8 cylinder Rolls gasoline engine should sound more or less alike. At least my doodlebugs won’t sound like VO-1000s or the shovelnoses.

Sound is like color in that none of us perceive it exactly the same way.

Nelson Moyer