RE: [CBQ] Re: BRHS Membership question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: BRHS Membership question
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:29:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1330352946; bh=1JrA190/Sif7vAEU0Rkpkhsy/lTpeel7R/QMcA06YcA=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:In-Reply-To:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=lOD+jVR2y/z6vEARQ/c1A0e96DV5mx1E1rE6BcO12Wkhqh70UioJQQRxfkP3FEb6E6PjqkGYAdghWNvXcTt6p7CB3kpzNdhAOxp3J01djRXheGAC65u1dqUaVJdYZPNi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I've been a member of the BRHS for 30 years, I've served on the Board of Directors, held numerous offices including President, initially created the BRHS website, I'm the current CBQ Yahoo List owner and am currently serving as the Zephyr Editor.  It is with that background, I'd like to add some perspective to membership in the BRHS.

***WARNING - I'm stepping up on my soapbox!***

When I first joined, I will admit that my purpose for joining was the same as yours, to "get" from the society.  I wanted to learn as much as I could about the CB&Q and the publications were an important part of that learning process.  However, one of the most important things I have learned, is not about the railroad itself, but about being a part of a society, a group of individuals who share the same passion for the CB&Q, and because of that passion, quickly move beyond what they can "get" from the society, but rather what they can give.  Yes, receiving publications is an important part of the BRHS, but more important is the interaction of like-minded people wanting to preserve the rich history of the CB&Q.

Membership entitles you to attending the meetings of the society, to build lasting friendships that will provide you with the opportunity to gain much more beyond the publications.  Yes, I've learned a lot from the BRHS publications, but I've learned so much more because I've been involved with the people of the BRHS, been involved in contributing to the BRHS and I am happy to pay my annual dues in support of the BRHS.

So, to answer your question, the point of a membership in the BRHS is to have a financial stake in supporting an organization that is working hard to gather, preserve and disseminate information on the great CB&Q.   Your dues allows you to have a vote in the decisions that give direction to the BRHS.  The BRHS is involved in much more than our publications and the dues that are paid support those activities as well.  Yes, we may not have succeeded in maintaining a rigid schedule for distribution of our publications, but I can personally guarantee that the publications you receive, along with the contacts you make will be worth much more than your annual dues.  So, if you believe in what the BRHS is trying to accomplish, we hope you will join our ranks and consider your membership more than a subscription to our publications.

***Stepping off my soapbox***

Dave Lotz
BRHS Zephyr Editor (who is yet again behind schedule)