RE: [CBQ] Re: JJH and the Q

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: JJH and the Q
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:48:10 -0500
Cc: <nptelltale@yahoogroups.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1319640499; bh=APBc6H7wxsQVR074KRTid+U0maIxJZH9gHLi3lNGtSU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Cc:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=X4WIQw9tbBXIUaqaPiBAR0eFSlV/eBNGRKPqxISHr6Rn8WQEHwceMYERo3flTkGzLPgUYRK4JFf7P0ERfeRrFwScNugaZce9OJiVrN6oWc3S1apPprYgH+4y3MU6jP3B
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John-

My comments are based on a well-researched book on the Wisconsin Central by
David Leider.   My copy is packed away for an impending sale of house and move,
but IIRC it was a direct quote and I’d trust Dave’s scholarship.

I am not acquainted  firsthand with the details of the ROW beyond the
Chicago-Aurora line, but what makes me open to accepting the premise that the Q
wasn’t the top-notch railroad we know and love is the fact that until 1895,
when forced to rebuild the line due to the Chicago, Hammond and Western
crossing it at the location of the foot of the ruling grade, the CB&Q had, from
1864 a horrendous climb up to La Grange Road that must have been a real doozy…
in excess of 2 percent.   This was on what then was at least double track
(maybe towards the end triple) and subject to the heaviest traffic volume of
anywhere on the railroad.

You may be correct that this was typical of most railroad development….get the
line into operation and fine tune the grades, curves, drainage, etc.. as
revenue allowed.   The UP (not the CP as much) was built in a similar matter to
get the line completed to get landgrants, etc…  But the quote from Hill remains
as an interesting window into the state of lines in the 1880s….

While the NP did get the WC, I think the research is correct in stating that
Hill would have preferred the Milwaukee Road.   The WC did not touch Milwaukee,
a serious drawback, and getting the line would have eliminated the competition
of their Pacific extension which was looming.   The WC struggled even getting
into Chicago as did other latecomers.

Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com