Re: [CBQ] Chicago research

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Chicago research
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:19:47 +1200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1304148000; bh=9kYGJb4ma0lQg/GhH3DmDeeuseT83U2RZDejLnjm3g4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result:X-IronPort-AV:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=SdqYO1fXoh/+Imk9l7z71Q1zslj+N41wn2HQqc4ZceEYiVI3Y2BPHytTv60aNFInPYPeUWjd3UigDH6GZcow4zVkacksSN9RXwt8DyBm/wzxJpL1QgAxgh3Nv/TmU8QC
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie

Thank you for doing all this.  Unfortunately, I haven't got that particular
Railway Age, but I'll try and find it.  I obviously
mis-read the company's name on the top bar of the mixer body, and Mixing makes
a lot more sense than Mining! I also stuffed up the
date.  I asked about 1911 but it should have been 1918, which I had printed on
the photo.

The Compressed Air article you sent, though, answers most of the questions
about the pneumatic mixer, including its use for the
Alkali Summit tunnel between Thermopolis and Orrin Junction, and the company's
work on the La Salle Street tunnel.  I've found the
publication and was able to download the photos and drawing.

I've also found a piece in Engineering News, also at archive.net, together with
other CB&Q articles, so I guess I'll have to look
for other issues of this publication as well! There's also an article in
Railway Age Gazette volume 56 of 1914.  Unfortunately, the
copy I have has pages around the 600 mark missing, and Steve Holding wants
those pages as well for a project to his.

So thanks again for correcting my error with the name- it's made all the
difference.

Rupert