[CBQ] Q E-7 Units (Air Filter Vents)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q E-7 Units (Air Filter Vents)
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:41:10 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302799303; bh=k3J1a+el5eqXvEMYq+CR3wqSeHoYyWZ57At9ROnlc3E=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-AOL-IP:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B3n3VW+q6KFn60oH5ARXEd9W7H1uuf8RrgmC2SeuRg9VNkMBBC5X/nyfknDoIbxE1fT0jzynLbAV/zh59DHwhSOfHFldtNsR8OjU6dkI5HEoegsBgRTa7O8+yhgYipiY
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
List,

I’ve been very interested in the air filter vents right behind the doors on the
Q E-7 units.  As you look at pictures of the E-7’s, considerable variation
appears among the vents.  I’ve done some tracking of units by date and some
units appear to have both vents open, some units appear to have both vent
covered over, and some units, appear to have the vents on one side covered up
and the other side open.  I was conversing with a friend of mine and he sent me
the following:

I pulled that E-7 EMD Operating Manual. From April 1947! It appears the doors
behind the cab doors were "air filter doors". The three screened areas along
the top of the carbody were for cooling the radiators and are labeled "cooling
system air intake". These were provided with automatic shutters (with manual
override adjustments) for reducing air flow in extreme cold conditions so as
not to cause freezing of the radiators.

The air filter doors were apparently provided to access replacement of filters
for air that supplied the fresh air into the engine compartment that was forced
down into the truck areas by traction motor blowers in ducts that carried this
air to cool the two traction motors on both front and back trucks. Apparently
filtered air was required to avoid dust issues within the traction motors
windings.

The air filter doors appear to have 3 hinges on one side for filter removal and
replacement. Apparently through the years the Q maintenance boys decided they
could do with only one filter on one side and thus paneled in one side air
filter door, removing the shutters or chicken wired areas. I would think they
still need a filter on one side and this varied form unit to unit as born out
by picture evidence of this variance. So go by the photo data for accuracy on
this issue.

My questions are:

What was the reason the Q covered some of the vents over?  Was it seasonal or
permanent?
Was there really the variation I think I am seeing?  Was there a reason for
which vent to cover over?
Were these covers screwed on or welded?

I’d welcome any light someone can shed on this.

Rich G.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com