Re: [CBQ] Arrival/Departure time question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Arrival/Departure time question
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:42:56 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292514210; bh=FWYD2rMEHpvrA0rwNvSXQXuWtAB1vBrTmlaAIGetjNk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Lur7jylLwqJqDkMIAvwfYuS8lanekRe5dQTlmT3GfJcKnFe1XezY9kqnYZD1kdykCeUTrjssjojAAM+87bqryRSRqhxQR6keh9MKo2dOU78i8EktI4sMApoLZwNNWr9E
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Leo...I admit I had some doubts as to whether Burlington was a crew
change point for passenger crews,and I should have checked...."engage brain
before opening mouth or putting fingers to keys"....Did the engine crews run
through from Galesburg to Ottumwa???   I assume that they did  TT shows 117
miles from Galesburg to Ottumwa.

Those days were certainly "heydays" for big pay for short hours for engine
crews especially...Probably on duty less than two hours each way and sometimes
set up to "double the road" every other day.  Recently I read a story...can't
remember...thought it was Classic Trains or RITS ROCKET, but can't find it now,
but the story was of a new Rocket the RI had put in service between Kansas City
and Mpls...The engineer running between Des Moines, IA and Trenton, MO (124
miles one way) bragged that he "doubled the road every other day and was making
$400 or so a month...(1937 dollars...average working man making less than $200
month).

Great pay and good hours for old heads, but just unstainable in the modern
world....This stuff lasted pretty much through the passenger era on most
railroads.

Pete

.  .