Re: [CBQ] Railroad History

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Railroad History
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1280885044; bh=L0PjI329W8yj773T/xNHwZO83go5xQM35djmNsOxuy8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=n9opEHGKxhR/m5fAAmrNYOqt9PvjLEsT2N6tmKHPD5XeAZu6qG7o0GqZnXys+d4qPPvbLRCyH0KNuR1no+oruAlSIS135AUNDTtXQQjOIDU+aCtJeRJhXurDSs9w7OVV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Steve et al

BAck in the day...when I was in the Freight Claims Department it was a common
thing to pay claims for autos on open top tri levels where "knights of the
road" had broken into autos...especially in the winter time.  There was a small
amount of gas in each car.   IIRC all of the keys except for the "key car" were
placed in one auto on the tri level and the key to that car was with the
waybill.  The "bums" had come to know the "code" and would break into the  car
with the keys, start it up and run it till the gas ran out and then take the
keys and move from car to car.

The boys would use the cars for reading, eating and shalll  we say "sanitation"
purposes.   I've assumed that the covered TL's now have pretty much ended that
practice.

Pete