RE: [CBQ] Re: [MILW] Re: The Board of Directors

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: [MILW] Re: The Board of Directors
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:36:00 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1268688966; bh=kvcVQTuOfu8WUW3LihuPyckqKq9GdciODw/BZpX4GRM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=nm/FHjGQftHDdcQSD//IzFoAzvGkXFm8ZSa14GjHqtgb46AKNtfG0JlmeAKKFlmCgX32IpnI0W3M8ubmnVJ4SawyAw6c0VGbr9z+Q45BesMU14jCuX4KEDAK/iFsl4UF
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
With all due respect to Mr. Sol (who was on the Milw payroll during their 3rd &
final bankruptcy), the "20's recession & GN/NP problems re: CB&Q purchase in
1901 is well documented in the best selling "Burlington Route" by Richard
Overton.  Perkins had indeed exacted a premium price from Hill in 1901 (Perkins
& Forbes also considered buying Hill's holdings as they had the $$$ to do so;
read about it in Overton).  Both GN & NP profited greatly over the yrs by
having a) a captive & highly dependable partner to/from the Chicago, K.C. & St.
Louis gateways; b) an ownership that gave them generous dividends from 1901
right thru BN merger time - especially important in the 30's! & c) today the
most trafficked route from Chicago to the Pacific NW is the former Q/Hill Roads
combo.  There are reasons why Buffett bought BN and NOT U.P. despite he & Uncle
Pete both having hdq in Omaha.

As for that Milw line to the west coast, it's of course gone AND GN & NP (nee
BN) became transcontinentals ONLY because they purchased CB&Q; they only got as
far as Duluth, Twin Cities & Sioux City prior to 1901 whereas the Q was already
west to Denver, Billings, etc.

Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com