[CBQ] Commuter Runs

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Commuter Runs
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:02:23 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1256558567; bh=dIak3oFBIfJIWuUt13ipihm1xt2ptYoq1/cuH0UcWRY=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Osr4b9+VpJJF0fC0PURemS1OJKeJrA+Fu199iPDUTCzD5SLtkNMO4kyizP1hxjXUcUyGZaQ8VMPQxvFlE4u/+9x2B98l0zEghJWLUb7UK1Rh0/tbuMmkWiz7JAXsnL2l
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mitch,

It would depend on the time frame your talking about and your seniority. As
 we discussed crews bid the runs by their seniority and chose of hours
desired.  Due to the nature of the rush hours and equipment for many decades a
large  portion of the jobs were "one rounders". You worked the morning rush
in and the  evening rush out. There were also jobs that made the morning and
evening rush  and then another round trip during the day. When push/pull
developed starting in  '64 or '65 crews started to "flip". This meant you
worked in,then ran mty to  Congress Park,Downers Grove,etc and loaded up and
ran
back to CUS. There were  also "flips" in evening rush where you ran loaded
to say Downers,returned mty to  CUS and loaded up again. In the late
60's/early 70's there were still 7 or 8 one  rounders. The youngest seniority
on
these was approx 30 plus years. Shortly  after I started working suburbans one
guy retired with something like 46 years  seniority and had spent 42 of them
on one rounders.
I believe today all the crews work a flip or a 2 rounder.

 Most jobs were on duty between 4:30AM and 5:30AM at Aurora and went  off
duty between 5:30PM and 7:00PM. You "worked" 13-15 hrs but the layover in
Chgo of at least 4 hrs was "temporary" tie up under the Hours of Service and
extended your ability to stay on duty so it was (is) rare for a crew to go
"dead". This may change under the new upcoming rules.
Also under the "hog" law you can be worked over the limit in an "emergency"
 to clear the main.
In rare cases where H-O-S limits would cause a crew to go dead its usually
in the evening rush and crews are moved up from later trains to cover and
others  deadheaded in or later trains annulled.Also a crew member can be
"split rested".  I once worked one full and 2 partial suburban jobs in one 12
hour day.
Once every decade or so there's been cases where the crews weren't
available for their runs in the evening but thats a totally seperate story for
another time.

In talking to other "rails" around the country I've learned this same
pattern was/is in place in other major commuter cities.

Leo Phillipp