[CBQ] 44 ton question -- followup

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 44 ton question -- followup
From: Robert Myers <rmyers7@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:56:35 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1246204606; bh=esOiKNBnNh5tSFBGlmegUMhQSP6I4ROtkyQ8oRJE0D8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=vRYviDHs4T/C8QcKIflwVcDNxmnL/Vosw0+ia4QEyXSWKWgKqNFqJNFJrPMV3ofoWEx6XreVCv9xWdwZPrnikvthh4vGDdcVJwEgG4XqcDIJmV2XxKHJHWOmtrfSC1wD
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> One question, The early 44 ton locos had a single ladder roughly
> centered on a truck, rather than at the ends. All the drawings and
> photos that I've seen show the ladder to the left of the cab. The
> question is this, were they to the left of the cab on both sides, or
> were they both at the front, and the pictures I have are all from the
> left side?

Shortly after I posted this I realized that both ladders would most
likely be to the left as viewing the cab, as that's where the cab doors
were. I finally found photographic evidence. In Jeff Wilson's book
'Burlington Route Across the Heartland' on p.68 there is a 3/4 view shot
of a 44 tonner with a ballast train. this clearly shows the left hand
orientation of the ladders on both sides. It also shows the shape of the
ladder hand rails more clearly than side shots do.

Thanks to all for the replies, and to Charlie Vlk and Tom Koch for some
pictures.

Bob